Wednesday 1 April 2020
Some of you will be receiving your membership renewal notification shortly so the trustees thought we should inform you of our decision regarding annual subscriptions and the reason for the decision.
You may not be aware that we have agreed to continue payment for the hire of venues and for our ‘fitness’ tutors for three months. This will then be reviewed. This measure will ensure that we still have meeting places and tutors once this is over. We also must continue to pay the rent and rates on our Kingston office, our annual per capita payment to the National U3A and the Third Age Matters magazine produced by national. Payment for the website and email hosting is still ongoing and these payments make up the majority of each members subscription.
The website is still available as is the new Facebook page, the ‘Ideas area’ to keep up our morale and some groups have found ways to meet remotely.
The membership and finance teams are still working from home and our thanks go to them for their commitment to MKU3A. The Trustees are still answering emails and returning calls - carrying on as best we can in these uncertain times. We are all volunteers and receive no payment for the work we do for MKU3A. Our association therefore does not qualify for Government financial assistance.
I am sure you know the philosophy of the U3A movement which is that all groups are self-funding and unless a group applies for a grant for equipment for their group do not draw down money from the annual membership subscriptions we receive.
At this time the trustees have made the decision not to reduce the membership subscription from £15. This will mean we will be able to meet our commitments as described above. No one knows how long this situation will continue.
We plan to review this decision in the future once everything returns to normal.
Please keep safe.
Chair MKU3A on behalf of all the Committee
Sunday 15 March 2020
Following the guidance from the government the Trustees after much discussion have taken the following difficult decisions.
- Postpone the AGM until June 24th, which is allowed under the constitution, unless government advice changes. All the documentation and accounts can be found on our website once you have logged in under the Members Only area - AGM – AGM 2020. Any comments relevant to the AGM paperwork can be sent to email@example.com
- Members must make a personal decision whether to attend their group meetings, if they are still running.
- We have considered that it is too early to decide on the blanket closure of all groups. However, if Group Leaders chose to close their group until further notice they will have our full support
- Cancellation of the monthly Open Meetings until further notice
- The Outings for March April and May have been cancelled with the agreement of the group leader. We are awaiting notification from the venues as to their refund policies, but we will ensure you are not out of pocket in due course
I hope you appreciate the difficult decisions the Trustees have had to make, and we hope you all stay safe and well in these difficult times.
Milton Keynes University of the Third Age
If this is your first visit to MKU3A, welcome! We hope you will return regularly. There is a wealth of information on the site
What is The University of The Third Age?
The word University is used in its original sense of people coming together to share and pursue learning in all its forms. There are over 1000 local U3As, all individually registered charities. They are all members of the Third Age Trust which is their national support and advisory body in the UK. The current strap line that sums up our objectives is "LEARN, LIVE and LAUGH"
U3As are autonomous, self-help organisations run by the voluntary efforts of their members. They are self-managed lifelong learning co-operatives for people who are retired or have time to pursue their interests or leisure activities with others. Opportunities are provided for members to share learning experiences in a wide range of interest groups and to pursue learning for fun, not for qualifications. There is much more information on the U3A National Website including member benefits and group resources. To get the best from that site you will need to set up an account with a username and password.
The charitable aims of MKU3A are:
- The advancement of education and, in particular, the education of older people who are retired from full time work, by all means, including associated activities conducive to the learning and personal development in Milton Keynes and its surrounding locality.
To view the U3A National Vision and Mission Statement please click here
To View the Principles of the U3A Movement please click here
The Wordle below will give you a first feel of the range of activities in the MKU3A. For more detail please go to the Interest Groups Page from the main menu.